WRX vs. 1.8t

I'm not quite sure I follow this, but I know this is
getting over my head technically so I could be plain
wrong...

I think you're saying the early 1.8t measured the MAF
and adjusted the wastegate via the ECU instead of a
self-controlled mechanical wastegate. But mechanical
wastegates are driven by a diaphram...isn't that
basically the same thing? Boost is pressure, which for
the same fluid should equal density. Thus, for a given
volume/path and speed boost should be directly related
to MAF. Or am I missing something important? 15psi in
the manifold at 5000rpm is 15psi at 5000rpm,
regardless of what the air pressure was *before* it
was compressed.

Neal