From: "Cathy Boyko" <losinit@usa.net>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 9:20 PM
Subject: More E test headaches ( wording carefully chosen)...

What's my car's name again?

Well, here was today's plan of attack:
4:30, Etest the TDI NewBug, sometime before 5:00pm, get renewal stickers and
register my ROCC IT  vanity plates with the MOT.

Reality: Pay another $37.05 (plus applicable taxes) to have a 17 year old
"Drive Clean Technician" watch my exhaust at idle for a minute, check for a
gas cap and fill out the paperwork. Yep, preserving the environment never gets
better than that. No sensor, no dyno, no running car test. It passed. (well,
hey, I paid)

So off to the license bureau, and I tell them cars #2 (bug) and #4 are to be
renewed right now, and put the vanity plate on #4 (the only silver one). Oh,
and here are copies of the passed E tests for both vehicles. Easy. I got there
2 minutes before closing and the clerk was REAL NICE...

So I see her crossing off car #1 (Jetta) for renewal, and tell her, no, that
one will get done later, and she asks where is the Etest for #4 (the only
silver one). I explain I just gave it to her. She assures me that no, I gave
her the Etest for #1.

She's right, the idiot doing the E test called up my records at CTC and didn't
bother to scroll through the entries far enough to see there are really TWO 87
VWs, and put the VIN in for the Jetta, but did the rest of the paperwork for
the Rocco. So now I have this hybrid Etest, a gas test for a diesel VIN. I
explain what happened (and remember she wants to get home) so she sends me
back to Canadian Tire. I try a "level two rant" (on the "Waterfest Rant
Scale", which goes as high as a ten, reserved for times of extreme hunger)
Then I leave in a very "pleasant" mood.

Off to CTC, for about a "level 8 rant" (it drew a very good crowd I might
add), so guess what? I GET TO DO THE THE WHOLE FRIGGIN E-TEST ALL OVER
AGAIN!!!!! They can't just switch the VINs, that would somehow be more wrong
than failing to read the number on the dash plate (three times) to begin with.

That will make three tests this week alone.

Oh, but they'll do it for free.(maybe I'll get another sticker :)) So, I'm
sending the kid in to renew the Jetta while it's VIN still has a valid Etest
on the ministry computers...

I'm laughing, because this could only happen the the Scirocco, what a
headache, it's got this magnetic attraction for incompetant idiots. I still
can't believe it, three tests, and nobody looked at the car's real VIN. I
noticed it was wrong on the bill, but was told not to worry, it'll be put into
the computer correctly. As if.

So I'm still polluting as far as the province knows.

Cathy, spewing exhaust so clean I can't even kill myself (0.00 %CO)...and
clearly owning too many old Dubs
1987 2L 16V Scirocco with a diesel Jetta VIN and the same old plates
"The silver headache" strikes again