(ot) a1 jetta coupe ?

Which year is it?  pre-fender-liner years are very bad for tops of front
fenders rotting, along with the inner fender well.  I believe plastic
fenderliners came in 83, possibly 82.

Another spot that's bad for rotting on 83 and 84 cars is in the rear wheel
well where the filler neck is bolted to the inner well.  This generally
results in a hole rotted into the trunk - can be seen from inside trunk -
but you have to look up inside the passenger's rear quarter to see it.

Floors usually hold up fairly well - depedning on how badly the car has
been abused.

The worst thing by far are windshield leaks - caused as a previous post
mentioned by rust under the gasket.  The best fix is to repair the rust
with the windshield removed.  Leaks in the bottom driver's side hit the
fusebox, causing corrosion and wiring woes.

A1 Jettas are great cars - I can't get enough of them (have 7 of them
right now)  with all the best of a German-built A1 car plus a great trunk.
My favourite winter beater to date was an 83 Jetta with a 1.6D - I raised
the rear end 1" with spacers under the springs and ran 185-65 snows and
never got stuck (which is saying something with our snow-belt winters.)

Drew