R32

At 08:08 AM 10/24/2002, Michael Carlson wrote:

>Not necessarily in my right mind, but I'm giving serious consideration to
>buying one.  Keep in mind the $32k price everyone is throwing around is pure
>speculation at this point,

Actually no - the speculative price was ~$30k.  The price announced to
dealerships is $32.
Michael, I have a lead on one if you're interested.

>but I believe it's a reasonable step up from the
>$25k price of an '03 GTI VR6, considering the bigger engine, 4Motion, Konig
>sport seats, faster steering rack, lower/stiffer suspension, and numerous
>other goodies and upgrades that one would normally apply.  (Yeah, that
>sentence was mighty long...)

Right.  And what I think a lot of people on this list forget (because most
of us aren't in the market for a new car), is that the cost of an *average*
car is now approaching $25,000.  I'd venture to say that the Golf R32 is
decidedly more advanced than the "average" new car -- which would be
something like a Pontiac Grand Am.

>Pssst!  Our Sciroccos are also on an obsolete platform!  ;P

Yeah -- 20 years ago they were.  Now? ;)

>Uh, so the 20th Anniversary GTI will be on a "nearly obsolete" platform,
>since the R32 is rumored to be available next summer/fall?  Don't get me
>wrong, the Anniversary Edition would be the package I'd want since I
>couldn't get a 337, but the prospect of having a 4Motion hatch with 240bhp
>sounds really good to me.  Of course, I actually see snow on occasion where
>I live, whereas you probably don't...

OMG it doesn't matter though.  To have a 3.2-liter 24V VR6 in a Golf?  You
don't need to make excuses in my book!. :)
Jason