Torque plate

If I had spent some serious coin on forged pistons, you're damned straight
I would go the extra mile and find a shop that used a torque plate -
especially when boring oversize.  When re-using pistons and honing the
cylinders for new rings, I don't lose sleep over it.

The plate serves as a dummy head, so that when it's torqued down to
factory specs the block has the same stresses or distortions that it will
when the head is bolted on.  It's basically a thick plate of steel with
holes for the hone to fit through for the operation.  Any machine shop
that does work on VW engines regularly should have one.  Have you tried
phoning your dealer(s) to see what shop they use?  Sometimes this may be a
hole-in-the-wall place that you would otherwise not think of.

Drew

Drew MacPherson - '84 Wolfsburg Edition Scirocco TurboDiesel