Non Necessary wires ?

Puting back together my 16v wiring harness in my MK1 w/ 16v dash and
cluster, and I am trying to simplify a bit.  The blue/green wire coming from
the o2 counter speedo box comes in and activates the light on the dash on
the 60K mi interval.  If this wire, say were not connected to anything or
indeed not there at all would I get a "light will never come on" or a "light
will allways be on".  I suppose those with the single speedo cable (w/o the
counter box) would have a similar situation but I can never get it straight.
Any one with a hint?
Ken, the somewhat electrically challenged.

1979 Scirocco 16V -  Almost done
81 Deisel P/U - Rescued from neglegent PO
VORTEX:  "Indiana Red"