OT: Power antenna to manual antenna. (VW related)

I was reading some old mails I had, from questions I
asked before.  Well today I needed to move my Quantum
out of the garage today and noticed that the radio
repection was worse than usual, but since it was in
the garage, I didn't mind, until I took it out of the
garage and notice there is not antenna on the fender.
It seems to have broken off and it was a power antenna
that was no longer functioning.  I think this is a
good time to convert to a manual pwoered antenna, but
as I said before in looking in older mails it looks
like PITA to take out the power antenna and place a
manaul antenna to replace it since it is cheaper and
less chance of braking.  I know about taking the wheel
well out, does it mean I have to take my radio out
also to pull the antenna cable out also?  I have a
factory vw radio.

=====
-Andrew Wong
1984 Black Scirocco