Bilstein question

I believe the new inserts will come with a new screw-on end cap.  Place the
old strut assembly in a vise, cut the old collar (screw-on end cap) with a
dremmel cutting disk (you'll notice when you get through the threads of the
collar, dont go too deep or you'll cut through the strut assembly), sqiurt
some penetrating oil in there and using a cold chisel and hammer unscrew the
collar from the strut assembly. Propane will help also just be carefull not
to ignite the penetrating oil too much...

this method will remove the most stubborn collars...  you may need to cut a
coulpe of release cuts in the old collar...

I don't know if anyone mentioned this but you should pour some hydraulic oil
in the strut assembly prior to inserting the replacement strut, how much? ,
I don't know but enough so that when the new strut goes in the oil spills
out, why you ask? to inhibit corrosion inside there and aid in heat transfer
from the insert (the insert will release heat upon operation, and the
surrounding oil will dissipate the heat quicker)

now you must ask yourself is it worth 300 CDN, to do it??? damn right!

g'luck

Jason Adams
Fahrvergnugen Forever! ;)
84 rocco 16v
93 320i
98 Z71

>when I removed my cartridges it took a bench-vise, 30" pipe wrench, a
rubber mallet, a propane torch, and lots of WD-40.  took >awhile but they
came out!-

>Rob

 "T. Reed" <treed2@u.washington.edu> wrote:

  The "whole shock" consists of the thick vertical tube you see with a front
  wheel off that has the brake line bracket welded on and the camber bolts..
  The insert slides down inside the tube and there is a large almost
  plumbing-type "nut" that you wrench down on the top of the tube to tighten
  the insert in to place.

  The rear shocks just bolt right on without tubes or inserts.

  The only reasons I can think of that you would want to get the complete
  assembly is if yours was bent in an accident, the old insert is stuck
  inside and can't be removed, or you just wanted a bilstein strut tube.

  Personally, I have Bilsteins all around and I went with the inserts.
  Changing them was a piece of cake once I got the right tool to get the big
  "nut" off the top of the tube -- vice grips with a chain that you can grab
  a hold of stuff with (like an oil filter wrench but more heavy-duty).
  Although I imagine a large pipe wrench might work.

  HTH,

  -Toby