  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Robbie Cotner=20

  when I removed my cartridges it took a bench-vise, 30" pipe wrench, a =
rubber mallet, a propane torch, and lots of WD-40.  took awhile but they =
came out!-=20
  Rob=20

   "T. Reed" <treed2@u.washington.edu> wrote:=20

    The "whole shock" consists of the thick vertical tube you see with a =
front
    wheel off that has the brake line bracket welded on and the camber =
bolts..
    The insert slides down inside the tube and there is a large almost
    plumbing-type "nut" that you wrench down on the top of the tube to =
tighten
    the insert in to place.

    The rear shocks just bolt right on without tubes or inserts.

    The only reasons I can think of that you would want to get the =
complete
    assembly is if yours was bent in an accident, the old insert is =
stuck
    inside and can't be removed, or you just wanted a bilstein strut =
tube.

    Personally, I have Bilsteins all around and I went with the inserts.
    Changing them was a piece of cake once I got the right tool to get =
the big
    "nut" off the top of the tube -- vice grips with a chain that you =
can grab
    a hold of stuff with (like an oil filter wrench but more =
heavy-duty).
    Although I imagine a large pipe wrench might work.

    HTH,

    -Toby

    On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Lisa Lutman wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me how Bilstein inserts are different from a whole =
strut or
    > shock? (other than being $150 cdn less in price :) Thanks!
    >

    > Lisa
    > Vancouver, BC
    > 87 2.0L 16V Scirocco

------=_NextPart_000_011F_01C27931.835A8060

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>One try is all they get at my place then out comes the cut =
off saw.=20
Zip zop they're gone. Assuming there are spares about and or you are =
putting=20
Bilsteins in with their own nuts.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Rick Alexander<BR>'87 MKII Rolling Roc<BR>'86 Cabbie<BR>'81 =
"S" MKI=20
G60 in progress<BR>'80 MKI (Parts)<BR>'73 Baja Challenge car<BR>'65 =
Brubaker=20
Box<BR>'62 Tuff Tubb dune buggy</STRONG></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Drobw_z@yahoo.com href=3D"mailto:robw_z@yahoo.com";>Robbie =
Cotner</A>=20
  </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">when I removed my cartridges it took a =

  bench-vise, 30" pipe wrench, a rubber mallet, a propane torch, and =
lots of=20
  WD-40.&nbsp; took awhile but they came out!- </DIV>
  <P>Rob=20
  <P>&nbsp;<B><I>"T. Reed" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:treed2@u.washington.edu";>treed2@u.washington.edu</A>&gt;</=
I></B>=20
  wrote:=20
  <BLOCKQUOTE=20
  style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px =
solid">The=20
    "whole shock" consists of the thick vertical tube you see with a=20
    front<BR>wheel off that has the brake line bracket welded on and the =
camber=20
    bolts..<BR>The insert slides down inside the tube and there is a =
large=20
    almost<BR>plumbing-type "nut" that you wrench down on the top of the =
tube to=20
    tighten<BR>the insert in to place.<BR><BR>The rear shocks just bolt =
right on=20
    without tubes or inserts.<BR><BR>The only reasons I can think of =
that you=20
    would want to get the complete<BR>assembly is if yours was bent in =
an=20
    accident, the old insert is stuck<BR>inside and can't be removed, or =
you=20
    just wanted a bilstein strut tube.<BR><BR>Personally, I have =
Bilsteins all=20
    around and I went with the inserts.<BR>Changing them was a piece of =
cake=20
    once I got the right tool to get the big<BR>"nut" off the top of the =
tube --=20
    vice grips with a chain that you can grab<BR>a hold of stuff with =
(like an=20
    oil filter wrench but more heavy-duty).<BR>Although I imagine a =
large pipe=20
    wrench might work.<BR><BR>HTH,<BR><BR>-Toby<BR><BR>On Mon, 21 Oct =
2002, Lisa=20
    Lutman wrote:<BR><BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Can anyone tell me how Bilstein =
inserts=20
    are different from a whole strut or<BR>&gt; shock? (other than being =
$150=20
    cdn less in price :) Thanks!<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Lisa<BR>&gt; =
Vancouver,=20
    BC<BR>&gt; 87 2.0L 16V Scirocco<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
    =
=20
    Get faster connections&nbsp;-- switch to&nbsp;MSN Internet =
Access!<BR>&gt;=20
    =
http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/default.asp<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR=