what happened to my car when it was "stolen"? odd story...

--0-1971901846-1034989161=:65357

Hey all, I just when to pick up some VW parts at a nearby "auto recycler".  This place is pretty damn big and corporate-like, and I live in SD so I usually leave my keys in the ignition.  When I got there I parked in designated "customer parking spot #1".  I leave my keys in there and then go out to the yard to get some parts.  2 hours later I come back, pay for my parts, and when I go back out my car is no longer in spot #1, it's in spot #5.  WTF!!  It looks like some guys needed to drive an RV past through spot #1, onto the grass beyond it.  So I assume, unless my Scirocco is possessed, that he got in my car, and drove it over to another spot.  Some guy I've never even seen!  Since my '83 has the "only-I-can-drive-it" shift linkage, (it needs some work and thus nobody knows how to shift but me). So I assume this asshole, whoever he is, had a fun time grinding my gears for whatever distance he drove it.  I may just be paranoid but after this incident it feels like my clutch pedal has much more travel before it gets to the point of resistance thatn it used to.  Also, this one is weird, now my shift light is on almost all the time.  On the hour trip down to the yard, my shift light came on as usual.  But on the trip back, the shift light is on whenever I maintain a constant speed, no matter what speed that is.  If I accelerate or decelerate it goes off for a bit,  but then comes on again when I resume a constant speed.  In itself this is just annoying, but why is it doing this NOW, and does that reflect a larger problem?  Thanks guys, and although I'm probably the only one, don't leave your keys in the car!-

Rob