Common Sunroof Woes?

The seal comes from Potterman [www.parts4vws.com] it's about $50.  But the
seal is not what's causing the water in your lap.  One or more of your drain
tubes is plugged up.  Get something like a surgical tube that you can fill
with water and hold your finger over one end.  Insert the end you are not
plugging next to a drain hole and release the water.  The water should
puddle on the ground.  If it doesn't, you need to clear that drain.  There
are two drains in the front and two in the rear.  Bentley says to use
something like an old speedo cable to route out the gunk.
The scraping can be fixed by adjusting the roof.  The Bentley details this
procedure.  You need to at least lower the back of the roof so it doesn't
scrape.  Since the movement is so slow, you probably need to lube the
cables.  I've heard that silicone spray works wonderful for this.  Another
thing that can cause difficulty moving the roof is when the cables get
misaligned from each other.  You need to remove the roof panel so you can
measure each glide from a fixed point.  If they need to be adjusted, just
unscrew the crank mechanism and you can individually move the cables.

HTH!

Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Champagne Edition