MI1 speedo jitters..

Okay.  I have a rather annoying problem with the speedo on the '79

It jitters.

The car goes at a constant speed (or what seems to be) but the
speedo-needle does not stay constant, or rise and fall nice and smooth.  It
bounces around.

at 120 it keeps shuttering between about 115-125.  Back and forth no stop.

Anyone else seen this problem?  Any ideas what it could be?  Should I look
at swapping out the speedo, or could a bad speedo cable do that if it gets
all rusted or gummed up (probably the original cable I suspect)?

Thanks

Cory Langford
'86 turbo project - running, just needs tuning :)
'79 daily driver - Restore in progress...
'65 Ghia - The next project in the garage