MI1 speedo jitters..

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Cory Langford wrote:

> Okay.  I have a rather annoying problem with the speedo on the '79
>
> It jitters.

Sadly, that's usually a broken speedo.  They don't last that long (100-150K
miles is all I've seen; my 16v broke at 152K, and my old Rabbit's was on its
way out at 107K.)  I put up with the bouncing in the Rabbit for the year or
so I had it before it returned to my parents, because a new speedo was like
$250.

My 16v's jittered a little.  Then, started pausing randomly on its way to
highway speeds.  Then, decided it liked certain digits during deceleration.
I think its final resting place was 25mph.  New 140mph speedo was $180 (I
figure a dollar per mph, plus $40 for the odometer. :)

Still, might as well check the cable, save yourself from bending over the
parts counter if you don't have to.

ian Butler / ian@hplx.net
'88 Scirocco 16v, '87 Syncro GL