Digital Clock - 12hr vs 24hr?

I think Rick Alexander had it right when he indicated that mode-change
is done via some combination/sequence/duration of button presses.  That
makes the most sense to me - if I were manufacturing little LCD clocks,
I'd want to be able to change config with no additional mechanical
devices.

I wonder if Rick's setting of 24-hr display is maintained through a
power cycle?

That being said, I took my ruined cluster a little further apart and
found a solder-label on the little PCB that reads "12H."  Hmmm...the
German translation for 12 is...uhhh...12, and for Hours it's Heures.
Deciphering all that might be a clue...12H...12 hours display???

Next to that were two soldered legs of a through-hole device mounted
from the backside.  It looked like a little capacitor; it was metal.

Now, does one remove this device to change default power-up mode, or
what?  I have no time right now to fool with it and wont for a week or
more.  But if someone else does....that'd be cool.

Drew, thanks for the offer, I'm not yet desperate though!

C.A. Ron