From: "Cathy Boyko" <losinit@usa.net>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 9:18 PM
Subject: Physics trivia, for Allyn etc.

Well, I'm busy looking up some acceleration problems to keep my physics class
entertained, and I stumble upon this:
>From "Fundamentals of Physics : An Introductory Course",the version we just
retired, copyrighted 1987 (a very good year I might add, but I digress...)

Anyway, in the margin, after some tidbit about Don Garlits' dragster's stats,
there was this:

"The highest road tested acceleration reported for a road car is from 0 km/hr
to 96 km/hr (0-60) in 4.1s, an average acceleration of 6.5m/s^2. (Now the
drumroll please) This was achieved in 1983 by a double engined Volkswagen
Scirocco prototype."

I just thought that was cool (even if it is no doubt outdated) Seems I can't
escape these cars even at work. As if I'd want to anyway.
Cathy