what years was this available???

CIS was available on Sciroccos from 76 (Wolfsburg only) thru 79 or 80.
CIS-lambda started in 80 or 81 and was used on all 8Vs throughout their
availability in the states.
CIS-E was only available on the 16v Scirocco (and other VW models of
course).
California models were probably different from 49 state models and I try
hard to not keep track of the shit the "Golden State" perpetrates.
Yes, you can convert back to CIS and if you use the Euro fuel
distributor you may pick up some power, but I doubt it would be worth
it.
Dan