Newbie questions....

Ron Pieper wrote:

> --- bill mckenzie <shftat6@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > 1) What dash is the easiest to swap in? (Mk1 GTI, Mk2??)
>
> Dunno, but I sure wouldn't put in a Mk1 GTI's (yuk).

I'd think Corrado and/or A3 dashes look best but I am only in the
planning stages on a dash swap. I'm of a mind to pull one from the junk
yard and send it out to be recovered just to keep it old school.

> > 2) Going to do the headliner but don't have the backing, how well
> > does the
> > MK1 backing fit? Has anyone tried that? It just needs to be close,
> > I'll work
> > out the rest.

> I don't think these have the liner-glued-to-backing like your GTI did,
> I believe they used wires suspeneded from little bent sharks teeth.
> Should be easy, I believe JC Whitney has a replacement.

GTIs have that pull it and flip it option but the Mk1 Scirocco has a
suspended cloth (vinyl) type headliner. JC Whitney might have one but
you'll be better off getting one from a TMI distributor.
<http://www.tmiproducts.com>  Good stuff.

I've been thinking of going black up top instead of the white one in
there now. Mine is OK with the common scrapes in the rear hatch area and
a poke or two but decent otherwise.

TBerk