[non-roc] 3A oil cooler or not?

Dave Novak wrote:

> Hey everyone...
>
> I'm neck deep in a 3A 2.0l swap into my Fox.
>
> I'm not positive anyone would answer this question on the Fox list, so I
> figure just go right to the people that know thier shit.
>
> Damn, I just slammed the Fox list.
>
> Anywho....
>
> On the Fox 1.8, the oil filter carrier is tilted to allow room for the
> engine mount, and on the Audi 3A, the oil filter carrier/mount thing goes
> straight down to where it would interfere with the engine mount.
>
> How bad would it be to run this engine without the oil cooler?
>
> -Dave
> '88 Foxwagen 3A project
> '89 Foxwagen beater

OK, lets look at it this way:

- What Oil Cooler are you using? The stock Oil Pre Heater/Cooler that
often blows a seam and mixes your coolant with the oil?  OR

- A sandwich plate type unit with a thermostat built in to only open
once the oil warms up?

If the former reroute your coolant lines to live without it until such
time as you can install the later. WHich of course won't involve Any of
the coolant lines anyway.

The former dumps the extra heat into the coolant, the later has a
separate radiator to dispel the heat from the oil.

Now to offset this is the seemingly smallish radiator the Fox comes
with. Not that that it cant do the job but I'd think you'll want to
lower the thermostat & dump a little Water Wetter into the mix as well.

How that for On Topic but non-Scirocco content?

TBerk