combustion/friction/etc), making the temperature difference greater, and the
tensile stresses (#2) even higher.
4. when cold, metal has a lower stress point where it will fracture. this makes
#2 even worse if the stresses are in an area that hasnt warmed up yet.

other babble to throw around:
Fracture toughness (KIC): ability of a metal to prevent a preexisting crack from
propogating under a given tensile stress level.
Thermal stresses: tensile stresses due to temperature difference across an
object.

side note: there are very specific rules for running reactors that govern rates
that you can heat up/cool down. they get much more restrictive the colder you
go. reactors arent much different than engines, as both are just hunks of metal.

HTH
Al

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger GTO Scirocco 16v (daily driver, 180k, rocco #6)
86 Kamei Twin 16V Turbo Scirocco GTX ('it has begun', rocco #7)
86.5 Occo 16v Trailer (dotting 'i's across the country, rocco #8)
87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (daily driver, 260k, 0 rattles, original clutch,
driveshafts, wheels :)