Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 01:18:04 -0400
From: Targetrasp
To: Doolbnroht
Subject: HID BALLAST

I bought the thing, it is a hid ballast and mentions nothing about needing a controller.  This thing is extremely heavy.  In the instructions it talks about a connection to the starter?  that made me think like it came from a car, but it just looks too big to be out of a car.  Below is some information that'll help you figure out if it's what you think it is.  It definatly IS for HID bulbs though.  It says on the instruction sheet.

Magnetek Installation instructions for Magnetek Core and Coil H.I.D. Replacement Kits.

that's written on the top of the instructions.  also there's a part where it's talking about a starter

"steps:  1. disconnect power to fixture.  2.  Remove existing ballast, capacitor, and starter (if used).  3........ "

and then at the bottom denoted by a *

*this is a protected "NO PCB's" capacitor.  Allow at least 5/8" space between capacitor and grounded metal surface.  '

on the components themselves

capacitor :  Magnetek 0051      24uF 480 VAC 100 Degree C MAX 60 Hz (then some garbage) ... int. res. 0.92 MEG (ohm symbol) made in usa.  Proteced-No PCB's

ballast :  (1) 1000 W M-47 or H-36 lamp  480 V  60Hz OCV 420  2.30 A
Autotransformer CWA

Cat NO M100048TAC5M
Metal Halide Ballast

Also there's 5 wires coming out of the ballast

Red- to capacitor
(2) yellow wires - common (one for aux 120 v one for lights ?)
black wire (marked 120 V)
violet wire (that's a 480 V power wire)

and on the cap there's another red wire coming off a different terminal.

Hope this helps, I got the thing for a song so if it's something you think you could use I'll give it to you for what i've got in it or if you think we could sell it and make a profit we could do that.  sorry for the long email, let me know something.

---------4bd18d8e7feb7b974bd18d8e7feb7b97--