fuel filter and tie rod question

--0-1268640036-1033562491=:75053

I would really like to replace the fuel filter on my 88 16V.  Wondering where the best place online would be to get one.  Didn't see one at potterman's.  I also was told when I tried to get an alignment, that I had a bad tie rod on the drivers side, so they could not do it until I got that fixed.  They quoted me like $280 for the parts and the alignment.  If this is something I can replace, I would like to.  Not the greatest mechanic in the world, but I can learn.  Thanks for your help.