Legal necromancy and Sciroccos

  Your friendly, local DMV is the place to query. California has a "non-op"
program whereby you can pay a paltry sum ($5) a year to keep your
registration 'active'.  This allows you to A) store your car off the street
and re-activate the registration at any time without penalty(such as paying
'back taxes').
   If your state does not have a similar program, just pay the registration
each year and don't sweat it.  After all, registration on these old lumps
can't be more than about $40, right?  In the scheme of a complete
restoration, that should be around one-half of one percent of your
budget.....:)

Larry