Big cams?

--- joshhignight@techography.net wrote:
> Today's message is brought to you by the numbers 2, 7, and 6...
>
> Yeah, I want top-end hoop-lah. I love my built 2L to death. The pull in 3rd
> gear gets every passenger's attention. But that drop-off at 5800 isn't what
> I'm diggin'.
>
> What's the rev-range on the 276's. I know Shannon's running em'...
> I'm on CIS-E, so 7200 is my limit. Would I be better grabbing something
> milder?
>
> What about the old exhaust cam mod (Mr. Harder)? I have an extra cylinderhead
> now...

  Well... I just had my car at Dyno Day... first, take a look at my plot...
<http://scirocco.dyndns.org/list/dynoday2k2/jpegs/hires-curves/Ben4th.jpg>

The advantages to the exhaust cam mod is that it is very cheap, or free in
my case...just labor.  And it pulled my 1.8 16v tp 117 at the wheels!
Not too shabby... this is very comparable to my mk2 16v with the euro intake...

The biggest drawback (or an advantage...depends how you like it)
 for the exhaust cam mod is the idle.  Very lumpy... my car was in good
running condition before I installed the cam, and afterwards the engine was
much more grumpy down low especially... took a bit longer of warming up enough
to drive smooth.

The other issue to address is the cam timing... you really *must* have a
adjustable cam gear pulley to get the correct amount of advance, or else the
car will lose all bottom end... once the timing is all set, it will
have good bottom end and still pull well to 7k.

I liked it a lot, especially since it was at no real cost... but honestly,
I just tried the mod to hold me over a little while 'till I can afford some
real cams... like a set of Schricks!  (or course)

=====
Benjamin Harder
86 Scirocco 16v
80 Scirocco 16v