speedo cable gear

Hey guys,

One quick question - how do you get the plastic gear on and off the end of
the speedo cable? I've removed and installed the cable from the transaxle
many times but never the gear itself. Now I'm putting in a one-piece cable
and I need to swap the old gear over to the new cable. Bentley mentions
something about a circlip but I'm not understanding quite how it works
from the description.

Do I just yank really hard to get the old gear off and then press it on to
the new cable?

Thanks

-Toby