Mk2 heater and A/C wierdness

--- Ron Pieper <rapieper@yahoo.com> wrote:
>--- Eric S <scirocco81@vwmail.net> wrote:
>> Now...here is what it does.  1 and 2 position are dead. 3 is decent
>> speed and 4 is full on.
>
>This could be a near-dead motor (mine works barely on 2, OK on 3 and 4)
>or the resistor...I confess that I haven't followed this thread so far,
>but did you replace the resistor?

No, I think resistor is next on my list...but the A/C behavior still bugs me....

>>More wierdness:  A/C ONLY turns on with the
>> switch set to 1 or 2 (IE when the blower isn't even ON!), as soon as
>> I switch it to 3 or 4, the A/C turns off.....is this normal???
>> Wouldn't think so.
>
>Early on, didn't you say that your slider control pivot was broken?
>Did you replace the slider control unit yet?  That seems like a big ol'
>random variable to me.

I replaced it...everything is working correctly except for the A/C turning off when I go to position 3 and 4 on the blower switch.  The "jumper" wire I found on the switch wiring bugs me...I think I'm going to have to dig out the wiring diagrams and find out what else has been fucked with.  I think that the car has been like this for some time, and what someone did was put a jumper from the 4 postition wire to the 1 position wire so that they would have A/C on and the blower working.....

I think my next step is digging into resistor...maybe someone swapped the resistor for a non-a/c unit and thats whats causing this wierdness...I don't know...

>> Also...the levers dont have enough movement when the face plate is on
>> to fully engage Max A/C or Defrost (ie, on either side of the
>> movement).  Is this normal?  I only can get the defrost setting (only
>> on the windshield) with the front plate removed....
>
>I cheapasss-fixed by pulling the sliders out a tad.  Seems OK now.
>Been that way for nearly two years now...

No go for me...tried that already...I think I'll try slotting the slider knob first (I have spares)...if that dosen't work..I am cutting the slots longer in the face.

>> I'd appreciate any insight...this is quite annoying!  Beginning to
>> find new ways to bag on Mk2s guys....help me out!
>
>[softvoice]Breath deeply in....breathe out....in.....out....
>
>Eric, the list has been there for you in the past, we'll be there for
>you now and in the future...you are a part of us, and we are a part of
>you...remember Eric, a MkII is still an old VW...we know how they
>are...[/softvoice]

Thanks Ron....I guess I am so used to the simplicity of the Mk1 that all this extra crap that is broken bugs me....those vaccum controls have got to be the crappiest design I have ever seen on a VW.

--
Eric
Northglenn, CO

81 Scirocco S (*TDI* swap and complete restoration in holding pattern)
81 Rabbit Truck LX Diesel (Waiting for BAE Turbo Install)
83 Scirocco Wolfsburg
87 Suzuki Samurai JX Hardtop (Soon to be VW Turbo Diesel Powered)