Mk2 heater and A/C wierdness

--- Eric S <scirocco81@vwmail.net> wrote:
> Now...here is what it does.  1 and 2 position are dead. 3 is decent
> speed and 4 is full on.

This could be a near-dead motor (mine works barely on 2, OK on 3 and 4)
or the resistor...I confess that I haven't followed this thread so far,
but did you replace the resistor?

>More wierdness:  A/C ONLY turns on with the
> switch set to 1 or 2 (IE when the blower isn't even ON!), as soon as
> I switch it to 3 or 4, the A/C turns off.....is this normal???
> Wouldn't think so.

Early on, didn't you say that your slider control pivot was broken?
Did you replace the slider control unit yet?  That seems like a big ol'
random variable to me.

> Also...the levers dont have enough movement when the face plate is on
> to fully engage Max A/C or Defrost (ie, on either side of the
> movement).  Is this normal?  I only can get the defrost setting (only
> on the windshield) with the front plate removed....

I cheapasss-fixed by pulling the sliders out a tad.  Seems OK now.
Been that way for nearly two years now...

> I'd appreciate any insight...this is quite annoying!  Beginning to
> find new ways to bag on Mk2s guys....help me out!

[softvoice]Breath deeply in....breathe out....in.....out....

Eric, the list has been there for you in the past, we'll be there for
you now and in the future...you are a part of us, and we are a part of
you...remember Eric, a MkII is still an old VW...we know how they
are...[/softvoice]

=====
Cheapass Ron
'87 Scirocco 16'Victor'