Mk2 heater and A/C wierdness

Well, per the suggestion of the list, I got a new blower fan switch...no diffrence.  I did find a strange jumper wire between 1 and 4 (that would explain some of the previous strangeness), which I removed.

Now...here is what it does.  1 and 2 position are dead. 3 is decent speed and 4 is full on.  More wierdness:  A/C ONLY turns on with the switch set to 1 or 2 (IE when the blower isn't even ON!), as soon as I switch it to 3 or 4, the A/C turns off.....is this normal???  Wouldn't think so.

Also...the levers dont have enough movement when the face plate is on to fully engage Max A/C or Defrost (ie, on either side of the movement).  Is this normal?  I only can get the defrost setting (only on the windshield) with the front plate removed....

I'd appreciate any insight...this is quite annoying!  Beginning to find new ways to bag on Mk2s guys....help me out!

--
Eric
Northglenn, CO

81 Scirocco S (*TDI* swap and complete restoration in holding pattern)
81 Rabbit Truck LX Diesel (Waiting for BAE Turbo Install)
83 Scirocco Wolfsburg
87 Suzuki Samurai JX Hardtop (Soon to be VW Turbo Diesel Powered)