16v has more power when motor is cold?

At 03:38 PM 11/22/2002, Dan Smith wrote:
>Oddly enough, the old manual I had for my rocc said that 'Letting the car
>warm up does nothing and is merely a waste of gas.' It surprised me and I
>usually let the car warm up about a minute or so anyways (until the
>defoggers start doing their thing and I can grasp the steering wheel
>without my hands freezing to it) so take it as you will.

There's a huge difference between "letting your car idle to warm up" and
"driving moderately when cold".  No one here is talking about letting the
car idle for a half hour in front of the house -- they're talking about
very little throttle and very little revs until normal temperature.

That said, my limit is 1/3 throttle and 3000rpm on any of my cars until oil
hits 80'C.

>P.S.- I'm not really sure how you define hotrodding, but I never go
>hotrodding around in my car. The closest I get is seeing how close I can
>get to the estimated 4.9sec 0-60 time VW used to claim. I think that was
>their claim anyways, I can't remember.

0-60 in 4.9?  Yeah, maybe if you dropped a turbo nitrous 2.2L 16V Scirocco
off a cliff.  :)
Their claim to 60 was 8.0 or 8.1.  They did have an ad about 0-50 in
5-point-something, though...

Jason