16v has more power when motor is cold?

Speaking of extra power under different circumstances...

My last Rocco, an '84 wolfsberg, had a weird power spurt.  I was coming down
my road to my house after a long drive, and pinned it in third coming out of
a corner.  All of a sudden, the inside tire (to my surprise) let out a big
squeal and spun for a bit.  The car launched like never before and sent me
flying down the road. I pulled into my driveway and shut the car off
thinking, what the hell was that?  Couple minutes later I could hear this
weird gurgling sound like boiling spagetti sauce.  Pop'd the hood to find a
gross brown muddy mixture (water + oil) volcanising out of the expansion
tank. Shhhiiittt.  After that, I got the head milled, port + polish,
downpipe, throttle body, exhaust, intake tube, and whatever else.  The car
was never, ever as fast as on that last stretch of road.  What's up with
that?

Vince