initial timing advance

How far do most people set their initial timing advance?  I've got a knock
sensor with a Audi distributor that has electronic advance.  With my
adjustable timing light that has a dial, I have been using 11* with a idle
at 900 rpm.  Today I set it at 13* and there is not any pinging.  Should I
just advance it until I get pinging under load and back off from there?
 Any advantages to lots of initial advance?

Kervin
86 Scirocco 8v 2.0 p&p 4k+80% and lots of other numbers and letters
88 GTI 16v Still sitting and it's winter time now
00 tt600