freak headlights

--0-739140202-1037767903=:98020

sometimes my headlights turn on and sometimes they dont. sometimes they turn on and then turn off by themselves after driving a while. if they turn off or dont turn on, the only way to get light from them is to hold back on the high-beam switch. any ideas? i have single h4 headlights on each side and when i say the headlights turn off i mean only the headlights...all other lights still work.

tia,

-tony

p.s. thank god for fog lights

1987 2 or 3 tone 16v scirocco