help: distributor troubles?

--0-376643595-1037490115=:33785

sometimes (only during rainy weather so far) my car (1987 16v scirocco) will have trouble idling when i start it (cold). it starts, and runs, but will die almost imediately unless i give it quite a bit of throttle.  it wont hold the rpms on throttle either, i have to keep racing it up and down for almost 5 minutes before it will finally give up and idle like it should. this has happened twice now, and my only guess so far is that my distributor cap is somehow forming moisture inside.  i know it isnt a vacuum or intake leak (i have thouroghly and repeatedly checked).  any opinions or tips would be appreciated.

thanx,

-tony

1987 2 or 3 tone 16v scirocco