brake/clutch pedal bushing?

All this talk about gas pedal bushings reminded me that about a year ago I
bought new brake and clutch pedal bushings with the intent to replace them
and eliminate the side-to-side play in my brake and clutch pedals..

I never got around to installing them because I was afraid of the springs
in the pedal assembly - they looked like they would either explode in my
face or never go back together again after I took them apart.. has anyone
replaced these bushings with the pedal cluster in the car? How did you do
it?

Thanks

-Toby