Bad K/S module on 16v...

--0-894075629-1036816537=:71535

Yup it is common, the circuit ground runs through the KS box and there is a diode that goes bad. Not new or uncommon I know of 3 people that have nad this problem and I was one.
Brian
 joshhignight@techography.net wrote:Yup. New one for me, never even heard of one going bad before tonight.

I've been working on the 87' for the past 2 nights trying to get it to start. The engine from the 85' has been in for a little over a week now and I finally got around to connecting all the acc's and wiring. But the fuel pumps wouldn't run unless jumpered, and even then, only the main pump barely. I tested the wiring, all good. I pulled the main pump from the 85' and put it on the 87' (still need to swap the tank pump). Still didn't work unless jumped, but it sounded healthier at least. Finally, I tried starting the car with the pump jumpered. Nothing! Pull a plug wire, instert allen wrench, held it close to the block while my friend cranked... nothing?!? Test coil, it's good. Check Bentley... says the fuel pumps get signal from K/S module... gears are turning.
Pull module from 85', connect to 87' wiring. Cranks right up!

Can someone explain why a bad K/S module would cause a no-spark problem?

Now to finish the suspension (frozen lower rear shock bolts)...

Thanks for letting me rant. Later,
Joshua