[tech] passat wheel into scirocco

7B in 4-19-104-00 is listed as a pressure spring and was used from
53-K-002 790>> according to Euro ETKA, FWIW.  At the same time the 45mm
adapter sleeve was adopted (191 419 514) This sleeve allows the use of
finer splines on the steering wheel to allow it to be centred more
accurately after a front-end alignment.  This would be a changeover early
in production of the 1989 model year of the Euro Scirocco.  Canucks may
have never seen this change, although it did happen for Cabriolets about
the same time (mid 89 year.)

On A2's prior to the adaptation of the new 45 mm hubwheels (and the
corresponding adapter) a pressure spring and clamping washer were used
behind the plastic sleeve (823 419 667 spring part no)  These parts
were not used on A1's, however they were used on the A2 based Corrado,
prior to the introduction of the 45mm hub wheel on that car.  The A2
spring with the clamping washer is under a fair amount of pressure, as
anyone who has removed an iginition lock assembly in an A2 can attest to.

To sum up:

A2 cars before early 89 production used the following spring and washer:
823 419 667 (spring)
N 901 824 01 (clamping washer)
191 419 514 A (adapter sleeve 26mm)

A2 cars after early 89 production:
1H0 419 667 (spring)
191 419 514 (adapter sleeve 45mm)
(no clamping washer used.)

A1 cars used NO spring prior to the introduction of the 45mm steering
wheel hub (again, mid 89 production year for Cabs and Sciroccos)  With the
45mm hub adpater the same spring as is found on the Passat and A2 is used
(1H0 419 667)

I'd say that if you're installing the 45mm hub steering wheel with the
adapter on your Scirocco steering column, you probably would want to use
the 1H0 419 667 spring, as VW appears to have put it there for some
reason.  If you have a 26mm stock hub (assuming you don't have an 89+
Scirocco) then you don't need the spring.

Drew

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Foxx (in a box) wrote:

>   obviously you are missing something. look at illustration 104-00.
> parts number 7a and 7b are both the adapter AND the spring. 2a and 2b
> are both the u.s. and euro "passat" and "corrado" steering wheels,
> respectively. it doesn't list it on the u.s. fiche because it wasn't
> used in the u.s. unfortunately i don't have my euro etka here to see if
> it was used in the european market.

Drew MacPherson - '84 Wolfsburg Edition Scirocco TurboDiesel