attn suspension gurus: car books

--0-1282990486-1036779699=:86509

True, Carrol Smith is a guru.  His books are the best source for finding out how to make a car that can withstand racing - a properly built racecar.  His books even suggest where you can get all of the parts you need, right down to who makes the best safety wire twister.
However, for suspension stuff, there is a better book.  Don Alexander's "High-Performance Handling Handbook" gives MUCH better explanations of suspension and steering design, including all the usual terms, types of suspensions people have come up with, and how to either design your own suspension or tune what you have.  It even has a whole chapter on how to tune an A1 VW.   It is basically a new edition of Alexander's "Performance Handling", and its significantly improved (I have both). Read the reviews for that on Amazon.  The main thing is that he explains it all in a methodical way and it all ends up very easy to understand.
So "High-Performance Handling Handbook" will tell you how to design and tune, and Smith will tell you how to fab up your own stuff, including tube frames and control arms, to dry sump systems.  He covers things like 5 different ways to make a joint in a tube frame.  Also stuff you might never use, like how to rivet skins on properly, but it's easy to get through to what you want to do.
Also, for designing frames and such, "Racing and Sports Car Chassis Design", by Costin and Phipps is really good.  Won't be as helpful if you are just making a roll cage/support structure or something, but for a tube frame from scratch, it should be helpful.  This book is required reading for many FormulaSAE and other College racing teams.  It's out of print, so good luck finding it (no, you can't have mine!).
 Neal <nealtovsen@yahoo.com> wrote:I would definitely check out some books by Carrol Smith
(http://www.carrollsmith.com/). Specifically _Tune to Win_ and _Engineer to
Win_. This guy is **THE** guru. Period.

I don't claim to know all about roll centers and stuff like that (though I'm
learning!). I do know that this stuff is really complicated, and can become
a safety issue. Do all the reading you can before you break out the welder.

Neal