Insane speed in german cars... slightly OT, had to share...

I'm sure some of our Euro list memebrs can respond to this, but I believe
that The older Audi A8 had a 280km/h speedo (or 170mph for the Brits.)
I'm sure that the newer powerhouses (including the Phaeton) have got
higher clocks on them now.

I'm not a big fan of speedos that measure escape velocity in KM/h -
because when you're doing the speed limit, you think you're hardly moving!
I installed a 260Km/h  speedometer in my winter beater Jetta, and now
100Km/h is about where 60Km/h is on the Scirocco... :)  Never mind the
fact that the car will barely do 180Km/h with its current gearing...!

Drew

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Brandon Smith wrote:

> BY THE WAY....HAS ANYONE EVER SEEN A SPEEDOMETER ON A VW THAT WILL
> READ UP TO 320km/h or 200mph, or even 180mph?????  i haven't... but if
> they do exist i would love to see one (besides the one in the picture
> we are talking about).  i suppose the Phaeton might come with a
> 180....maybe.
>
> -Brando

Drew MacPherson - '84 Wolfsburg Edition Scirocco TurboDiesel