  From: Brian Haygood=20
  To: Allyn ; Tobias >< ; rfkellner@snet.net ; scirocco-l@scirocco.org=20
  Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 1:57 PM
  Subject: Re: How about Glass or Carbon Fiber Euro Bumpers?

  Are you guys talking about cf/glass euro bumper skins, or the whole =
bumper?  Assuming you have a proper means to attach it, a skin shouldn't =
be hard at all.  There is also no reason that the entire bumper can't be =
made of cf or glass.  In fact, designing similar stuff to this was my =
job about 2 years ago.  The differences are that this is a serious =
structural part, and you probably can't get away with slapping a piece =
made from fiberglass or carbon chop onto the back of a nice cosmetic =
piece like some of the cf hoods I've seen out there.  I mean, you could, =
but you stand a much better chance of the two parts separating, and =
using chop like that just increases the weight a LOT, and isn't that at =
least part of the reason to get this stuff?     Anyway, it wouldn't be =
anything new for me to put together a one-piece euro bumper (i.e. not =
two pieces glued together after the fact), with a nice cosmetic skin, =
some serious structure to it, and mounts for the existing bumper =
brackets.  Given cost considerations it might be a good idea to use some =
fiberglass instead of making the entire thing carbon, but if that's done =
right the weight can stay down nicely.   Nice thing about composites is, =
once the molds are made for the required shape, the part can still be =
tailored a lot to use carbon, kevlar, glass, or paper mache (kidding) if =
somebody wants it made of that.  I also have the means to run finite =
element analysis on a part like this to make sure the strength is in the =
design (yes, people in the real world do DESIGN cf and glass parts when =
they need structural strength, not just copy the old steel part.  =
Imagine that! hehe)=20

  Anyway, just a head's up to the list, but I'll be moving in a little =
less than a year, and setting up a composites shop all my own.  Like I =
said, I used to work for a company that designed and built prototype =
composite parts for everyone from Big3 Automakers to foreign governments =
and anyone else, so I'm trained in designng this stuff and building it =
as well.  I have a couple of people who want some custom work for their =
cars, and I'm planning on copying a lot of my car (SII 16v) for my own =
personal use, so once the molds are made, I'll run extras off for =
whomever wants whatever. =20

  If there is a demand at that time (~1 yr or so) for a eurobumper =
complete with substructure, I can design, analyze, and build some.  =
Should be light enough to make any of us REALLY happy. :)=20

  Just to give you some idea of what can be done with composites, one of =
my last projects was to redesign a large aluminum tray (on the order of =
8' by 3') to hold 1500lbs of stuff I can't tell you about in a concept =
car.  The aluminum tray weighed ~70lbs, and wasn't as strong as they =
needed the part to be.  Our version was 47 lbs, was considerably =
stronger, and would have been lighter if we hadn't left a layer of =
plastic on each side so it could be mass produced more quickly (removed =
from molds more quickly).  So now you are talking about a part that is =
30% lighter than an equivalent ALUMINUM part, and stronger, even with =
extra useless layers of plastic thrown in.   I don't want to shoot my =
mouth off (more than I already have) about what replacements for steel =
scirocco parts should weigh, but you do the math.=20

  BH=20

  =20

   Allyn <amalventano@sc.rr.com> wrote:=20

    while that would be cool, its kinda the only thing protecting the =
rest of the
    car when some dumbass cuts you off / rear ends you. even with all =
the crazy
    fiber-skin stuff i plan to do on the twin, i still intend on using =
'real' euro
    bumpers.
    Al