[tech]: update--moving timing

i managed to get off all of my belts and pulleys to check out why my
timing's been moving.  i turned the crank to get at something better, and
found that the crank bolt was loose.  Hmm… couldn't get the last crank
pulley (with the timing mark on it) off.  so i took the crank bolt off, and
removed the pulley and crank sprocket together.  findings:
1)	there was no woodruff key to be found anywhere, or even remnants of one
(i circled where i thought it should be).  this is looking at the inside of
the crank sprocket;
www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mabatzi/pulley.jpg
www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mabatzi/beerfest 008.jpg (wider shot—you can see
that even though i circled something on the last pic, the inside is actually
quite smooth).
2)	the slot in the crank didn't look chewed up or anything, but i don't know
what it should look like (circle where slot is, conveniently covered by
belt);
www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mabatzi/crankpulley.jpg
3)	the crank sprocket and pulley were one piece, like they were welded
together or something; www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mabatzi/beerfest 016.jpg .
this, iirc, should not be the case.
what i'm thinking is that someone screwed with this before, welded the
pulley and sprocket together, and used the crank bolt to keep everything
from slipping (which if it was tightened enough would work).  the forces
eventually loosened the bolt, and there was no key to keep things in place.
make sense? so a couple of questions:
1)	can i use the sprocket/pulley from my 1.8 shortblock?
2)	how do i get the crank bolt off? the shortblock is just sitting there—how
do i keep the crank from turning? anyone done this? i have an air wrench
coming thurs, but i'd like to get it done before then if possible...

hopefully this is all that's wrong, and i can slap it all together sometime
this week without taking apart the engine as i feared…
any other thoughts/suggestions?

-Michael Abatzis
Hotlanta! GA
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP-->parting, prelim web site, but not taking orders
yet: www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mabatzi/mikes_page1.html
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...

Get faster connections -- switch to MSN Internet Access!