Metric vs Fractional (Imperial)

I'm a residential building restoration contractor. Carpenter by any other
standards. I can shed some light on the reason that architects are going to
be hard to move to the metric system. All of the saw mills here work in the
imperial system and the codes developed to use their materials has evolved
around that system. Everything is sold in two foot increments because the
standard spacing of things is 16". Conveniently that works out to be an even
fraction of four feet and eight feet and a multiple of four inches and eight
inches. So you should be able to see that the architects are the easy part
of this transition. The economic impact of re-tooling all of those mills
would be staggering. Re- tooling and re-training an even greater number of
tradesmen will be close to impossible. Now assume that things were to change
to the metric system and we started building our homes, offices and
factories in the metric system. All of the materials would be metric and
maintaining the existing structures would become more difficult and more
expensive. So in the end the change over in the building trades would take
about two hundred years.

I particularly like the metric system (in my garage) but I would not look
forward to learning how to think metric at work. Then the process of
constantly doing all of those conversions even for minor projects just
floors me. I have plenty of calculating to do now thank you.

Rick Alexander
'87 MKII Rolling Roc
'86 Cabbie
'81 "S" MKI G60 in progress