Metric vs Fractional (Imperial)

Dan, I doubted there existance as well untill they started poping up.
Examples ...
"In January 1996, the city of Amarillo erected speed-limit signs along Sixth
between Adams and McMasters streets in both miles per hour and kilometers."

South dakota visual example     http://www.dm.net/~chris-g/sdak1.html
Arizona visual example   http://www.arizonaroads.com/interstate/i19.htm

NY...Not only is the I-90 section of the NYS Thruway marked backwards, with
mile numbers going down as you go east, but there are two metric only signs
when you drive westbound. I believe they are around Syracuse, which is
nowhere near Canada. I've also seen Iowa and Illinois highway signs as well.

and for boring reading the offical Federal Government Metric Conversion
Policy    http://ts.nist.gov/ts/htdocs/200/202/pub814.htm#act