HELP! Prob w/ rebuilt engine

--0-1695327678-1036180314=:17506

So I was in Ohio helping Josh and Brian with the 2.0l install.  When putting on the crank pulley we noticed something odd.  We held a screwdriver in the #1 spark plug hole so we'd know when it was about TDC so we would get the pulley on the right way.  Here's the problem:

When turning the engine over by hand, the crankshaft sorta "pops" into TDC.  This is without the camshaft connected to it via the timing belt, but it feels just like the way the camshaft pops to rest between lobes as you turn it.

This happened when assembling the head and junk onto the new block.  There was no flywheel on it, and no timing belt.  It's a 2.0l 16v, so it's not distributor related either.

Any ideas?  The engine is in and they would like to start it soon, but very nervous about this.