Fuel Lines Redux and Spark Plug Weirdness

Hi John,
Thanks for your reply:

>>I like Bosch Supers a lot, but they are hardly a "premium plug".  Not =
many premium plugs cost a $1 each.>>
I wouldn't have called them "premium" either, but I have used them in all =
of my other VW's without any problems -ever- until this time.=20
But I would like to know where you get them for $1.  I buy mine for $2.25 =
at a place where I consistently get better deals than I can from any =
mail-order or internet outlet.  (It's not a "real" VW dealer.  But they =
specialize in VW parts, sales and service from the earliest aircooled to =
the latest watercooled.)
Maybe they make up for their other low prices by charging double for Bosh =
Supers...

<<Did you try swapping the one plug that smelled of gas with one from =
another=20
cylinder to see if it was the plug or the location of the plug that was =
the=20
culprit? >>
No, but the old plugs worked fine when I put them back in using the same =
wire in the same location.=20

>>If it turned out to be the location then you could do the same=20
with plug wires, or just Ohm them out.>>
The wires were brand new this time.  But, as it happens, I did test them =
to see if they started out at the recommended resistance.  Sure enough, =
each one was dead-on 5K Ohms. =20

>>From there I would look at the coil-Bentley lists test values for =
this.>>
Well, why not.  I'll give it a try.  But I can't figure out how a bad coil =
would affect a new plug, but not an old one.

-Mike, still scratching head, still using old Bosch Platins

Mike Eldred
Staff Reporter
Deerfield Valley News
MikeE@vermontmedia.com