informed opinions wanted

You've got to be kidding!!!!  I don't think there is any way that you could
put $5500 into a scirocco and get that car.  Even if you do your own work, I
think $5500 is cheap for that thing.  Now, it does depend on what is
underneath.  IF it is stock, then maybe but if it has some serious
engine/drivetrain/interior/exhaust/suspension mods then it's worth all of
$5500.

Buy it before some dweeb buys it.  Wait, your not a dweeb are you??

Dave