Is balancing really necessary on a lightened flywheel?

They are wrong.
You want to balance the flywheel/pressure plate combo (like Dick said) to
perfect balance in and of itself.
 The engine crank has to be weighted to offset the weight of the pistons and
half of each rod, so that the whole crank/rod/piston assembly is 'in
balance'. THIS is known as 'balancing an engine' and the flywheel/pressure
plate does not enter-in when 'balancing' an engine.
BTW, the reciprocating parts of your engine do not include the crank or the
pressure plate.  Those are rotating components, as compared to pistons,
upper portions of the rods, and the cam followers (lifters), which are the
reciprocating parts.

Larry