Is balancing really necessary on a lightened flywheel?

FWIW, I lightened my own flywheel, and took it to a local machine shop
along with the PP.  It was almost dead on with no lightening, but the
dumbshits took a little material off the pressure plate (not the
flywheel) to make it about perfect.  Didn't get a balance spec, but it
was mightly close with no balancing.

HTH

Ron

--- Mardak <maardak@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> I talked to both machinists that worked on my flywheel and asked
> their
> input on balancing my now resurfaced and lightened flywheel.  They
> both
> asked if I was balancing the pressure plate, crankshaft, etc.  They
> said I'd be wasting my money if I balanced the flywheel without
> balancing the rest of the reciprocating mass...  ('reciprocate', what
> nice word :-)
>
> I guess any kind of improvement to reduce "harmonics" would be
> beneficial, but am I really going to feel the difference?  Any money
> savings at this point in my already WAY overbudget 2.0L swap would be
> nice too...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mark.

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor" '87 16V Scirocco
"Teufelhasen" '93 Cabby <-For sale

If it ain't foggy, TURN OFF YOUR FOG LIGHTS.