Is balancing really necessary on a lightened flywheel?

On my stock flywheel, when they removed the thick ring of the flywheel, they
removed some of the drilling dimples from the factory balancing process.  I
would say you should have it rebalanced after lightening.  The shop that did
mine only grinds and balances crankshafts & flywheels.  They didn't hesitate
to balance it.  Make sure they have your pressure plate when they balance it.
 You need to balance the whole assembly.
GL.

-Dick-
78 Scirocco