clutch cable streching?

On Mon, 27 May 2002, John Edwards wrote:

> Has it "stretched" quite quickly? It may be pulling through the bulkhead.
> Check that the bulkhead around the area where the clutch cable runs through
> it isn't split or distorted.

Another possible "stretch" culprit...

There is a little curved finger thing that operates the rod that opearates
the pressure plate...

er, when you push on the clutch pedal, the cable pulls on that big lever
sticking out the side of the tranny, that big lever rotates a rod that
goes through the transaxle front to back of your car. On this rod is a
splined area on which fastens this "thingy" oficially called a release
bearing lever or somesuch.

This thing can and will crack, when it does, the clutch pedal feels
"soft" & it is about impossible to adjust it to work right. leave it go
long enough & it snaps, then the clutch doesn't operate at all.

I've replaced these by removing that green end plate with the VW logo,
then pop off the clip holding the "finger" , everything comes apart easily
& goes back together almost as easily.

Most people destroy the end plate trying to remove it as its thin
sheetmetal, buy another before you tear it apart just in case, I can get
em out in one piece with a screwdriver a hammer and big vise grips, but
this is just me.

take care,

Steve

     If you see a mad professor in a minibus, just smile. --James Bond
                      http://westfailure.org