From: scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Marc scirocco =
Qu=E9bec
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 4:00 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: Rev Limiters (was RE: Knock Sensor Q)

The fuel pump relay is more than just a relay. There
is a circuit in there that picks up a pulse from the
coil, blends it with a 555 timer (IC), and that gives
it a solid signal to drive a transistor, and then to
drive the actual relay (more or less that way).

This is done for safety reason: as soon as the motor
stops physically turning (like in an accident), the
fuel pump stops working, after a second or two.

Of course, since it picks up a signal from the coil,
it can shut the pump at a desired preset.

Simple, yet brilliant!

Cheers.

Marc
'83 Scirocco