Rev Limiters (was RE: Knock Sensor Q)

Ok I know I have been included in this discussion and havent said a whole
lot. so here goes

The ground trigger for the fuel pump relay is what is interrupted for the
rev limiter. This ground is provided via the knock brain. 8v knock brains
have a lower rpm rev limiter than a 16v. If you connect this trigger from
the knock brain to the existing fuel pump relay you will have a rev limiter.

No offense Brian but I KNOW you havent tested your theory that you will not
have a rev limiter if you connect the ground trigger from the knock brain to
the existing fuel pump relay. I suspect you will still have a rev limiter. I
have the stock relay on my rocco wired to the 1 terminal of the coil and
AFAIK I dont have a rev limiter. Albeit, I have carbs in my roc and they
might have enough reserve fuel in them to provide fuel even if the relay is
interrupted. On the conversions that I have done using stock injection and
adding a knock brain I have always kept the fuel pump relay stock and wired
to terminal 1 on the coil. those cars dont have a rev limiter.

All that said... if you dont wire your fuel pump relay to not have a rev
limiter what is happening with the ignition advance curve? Obviously the
knock brain is setup to stop making the car go faster after a set rpm. So
does the ignition still advance after the set rpm? I doubt it. That would
require unnecessary engineering and ignition mapping.

Then the next enlightening statement would be is the ignition advance curve
going to be the same for an 8v as it is for a 16v? And if they are different
would it be advantageous to use a 16v knock brain on an 8v car? or
vise-versa?

>but I have a MKII 85, running cis, not converting, just hybrid 3a/jg
>engine,
>I need a knock box because of 10.5:1 compression.
>does what you just stated (keep my current relay) simply install a knock
>box
>(which ever no matter 8v or 16v) and it will never have a rev limitator?

>ATS - Patrick Bureau
>1985 8v **Planning 3A/JH  Upgrade**
>1988 16v ** FOR SALE : 1500.00$ **
>Web Site : http://longcoeur.com/scirocco